Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax help

On Thursday, August 24, 2000, at 10:02:11 AM, Gregg Mare' wrote:
> Hi There,

Hey.  Welcome aboard.

> I am trying to set Hylafax up on my machine and I am not having much luck
> with it.

Ruh roh.  Let's see if we can help.

> -How do I know the Fax server is running?

ps -ef | grep fax  (or possibly ps -fu fax, or some other similar
command...)

That's the hard way, of course; faxstat usually works fine.  :-)

> -Where do I set the speed for the modem so that it is locked?

This question had never occurred to me.  faxaddmodem usually handles
speed issues nicely; I've never had to speedlock a modem on a HylaFAX
system.

> -Running the Win95 client: where on the server do I add client username and
> passwords?

You probably don't need to: make sure $SERVERSPOOL/etc/hosts (where
that usually expands to /var/spool/fax, but you didn't mention which
OS you're on... and sometimes, I think, it might be /hosts.hfaxd)
contains the IP addresses of your workstations.  In a workstation
environment, you don't much need to use actual names and passwords.

> -Can I use ip instead of hostnames?

In that file?  Certainly; and it's probably a touch easier.

> -Is ther a GUI interface for server configuration?

Nope.  But there's not that much of it to do, either.  faxsetup will
walk you through it.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff