Re: [hylafax-users] what does "working modem" mean? was: usr modem - dials but won't connect

On Wednesday, August 16, 2000, at 4:58:14 PM, Bernd Proissl wrote:
> My experience is that you have to look these topics too:
> - send only, if so, how many faxes/time, how many different fax machines?
> - receive only?

> if HF does not contain Dmitry's RTC/RTN patches, then
> there are reproducable transmission problems under very specific
> circumstances:
> - document encoding
> - modem brand
> - Class x operation of modem
> - 1 page fax or fax with more than 1 page
> - receiving fax machine

I believe the beta's, at least beta2, do.

> I did some testing (before Dmitry's patch) with USR and they looked
> good so i took the modem to production and this was a desaster! What
> i had done was just sending single page faxes which did not provoce
> the RTN problem here, not even during days work at my customer. But
> when they started to run mass faxing at night the sent out faxes
> with more than 1 page!! You can image what happened next day.

> I suggest to be very specific what means "works here", otherwise it
> will be of little help for others.

An excellent observation.  I suspect any further developmental
discussion would go better on the development list.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff
The Suncoast Freenet