Re: [hylafax-users] mail--> fax

On Monday, August 14, 2000, at 1:12:10 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 11:26 AM 8/14/00 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>>On Monday, August 14, 2000, at 10:33:48 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
>>> An email-to-fax gateway can be quite simply reworked using procmail to
>>> avoid mangling sendmail at all and so that the e-mail can be directed at an
>>> actual user.  The user doesn't even need to be a dedicated "fax only" user,
>>> depending on how you work the recipe.
>>
>>> If you'd like an example, you can take a look in
>>> http://www.deanox.com/HylaFAX
>>
>>Hmmm... that snags all the necessary addressing out of the body of the
>>document, no?  Sometimes that's a feature, sometimes it's a bug.

> RelayFax (my Windows client) stuffs all of the faxing info into the message
> body and attaches the fax as a TIF image.  But procmail can get the
> addressing from either the header or the body or both, and that's all up to
> how the recipe's created.

Oh, that's right.  Forgot.  Alas, not all of us have such luxuries...
:-)

>>How (or more importantly, *why* :-) would you use that for a
>>non-dedicated user?  If you were on a shared, HF equipped machine that
>>you didn't have root access on?

> Personally, I think a dedicated outbound fax user is less troublesome and
> easier to configure, but it's not necessary.  And by the same token, if you
> don't have root access to create such a dedicated user, I doubt that you'd
> have root access to mangle sendmail.cf to make the fax gateway work that
> way, either.  Why use it on a non-dedicated user?  If you don't have root
> access (and do have /dev/ttySx access, ha!).

:-)

> Now, if the system doesn't use procmail or doesn't have procmail installed,
> or if the system prohibits such things, then... well, what are the chances
> that a non-root user could install and use hylafax sucessfully anyway?  So,
> yeah... a dedicated user is the way to go.

That I can answer: I don't think you can run HF without root access,
at all.  It might be possible, if you were *very* motivated, to
figure out how, but I'm almost certain the install won't work; you'd
have to do everything by hand.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff