[hylafax-users] Conexant (Rockwell) 56K

Hello All

I have just spent my afternoon tracking down a modem quirk that I
thought would be work sharing with the list.

I have changed my old trustworthy 33.6K Rockwell chipset modem
which I ran without problems in Class 1 mode for a new 56K
modem.

The new modem is a "Creative Modem Blaster".  It is a 56K
Flex/V90 Class 1 (only) modem.  It appears to have a "Conexant"
(ex Rockwell) chipset.  The model number is a DE5625.  (I have
since tried this on another 56K Conexant/Rockwell modem and
found the same behaviour.)

This one has one big bug, the traditional hylafax dial string of

ModemDialCmd:           ATDT%s@         # T for tone dialing, @ for
silence

Does not work.  The "@" causes this modem to wait a long time.
(Possibly 60 sec, the value of register S7) and never complete the
handshake.

If I drop the @ so the command becomes

ModemDialCmd:           ATDT%s

It works fine.

I know there is a reason behind the "@" - I think to do with
distinguishing failures to a voice number from failures to other
numbers.  Does anybody know how it is supposed to work?  Would
if help if I used "ATDT%s," instead of "ATDT%S@" ?

Any comments?

Ian Forbes