[hylafax-users] Re: problems sending faxes with hylafax

At 02:10 PM 6/26/2000 toki sez:
>Hello Hylafax users,
>
>I have an Intel machine running Red Hat Linux 6.1 and installed the
>following RPM: hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm.
>
>I've got a problem which I've found several instances of in the database:
>hylafax won't send faxes.  Typing faxstat -s gives:
>
>[root@linccid linux]# faxstat -s
>HylaFAX scheduler on linccid.hq.essensys.com: Running
>Modem ttyS1 (1.412.931.5425): Running and idle
>
>JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
>6    127 T   root 99315425      0:0   0:12

That's all well and good

>But the faxes never get sent, the modem doesn't even try to send.  I've
>added the faxgetty stuff to the inittab, the setenv stuff to /etc/profile,
>and run faxmodem ttyS1 when hylafax starts.  I also downgraded to libtiff
>3.4.4.

1) when I do this:

# ps ax | grep fax
   653 ?        S      0:01 /usr/sbin/faxq
   655 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax
13492 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1

I see that faxgetty is running. May be you didn't start it. You say
"faxmodem ttsS1" but may be you meant to say "faxgetty ttyS1".

2) I believe with the rpm you installed, you must also use the libtiff 3.5
as posted on Redhat's ftp site. - Don't do the downgrade.

>I don't know if I've provided all of the details necessary for the
>diagnosis, so if I've left anything out please ask.

Is your faxgetty running? Do you have the current and correct version of
libtiff loaded? Do you have ghostscript correctly configured? I am not
exactly how to do that one since Darren helped me after I had installed the
latest one from Aladdin's site.

>Thank you for your help,
>
>Toki Barron

Paul Franz

PAF Consulting Engineers       |  427 - 140th Ave NE
(425)641-8202 voice            |  Bellevue, WA 98005
(801)749-8480 fax              |  <http://blackdog.bellevue.wa.us/>