Re: Mail-to-Fax HylaFAX relay and RelayFax

>> 2. extract information from text in the mail's format (i.e. read a line
>> "FAXNUMBER: 5551212" and interpret 5551212 to be the send-to fax number)
>
>This should easily be do-able using a new wrapper round faxmail.

By wrapper do you mean some type of script to convert the existing format
into X-FAX-parameter format?  By that time wouldn't it be less complicated
(since I'm scripting anyway) to simply have procmail call a script that
strips out the info, metamails the attachment out, and then uses sendfax to
get the job done?  What advantage does faxmail provide?  It seems tailored
to the X-FAX-parameter functions which my Windows-client faxing program
doesn't provide.

>> 4. decode the MIME encoded TIF attachment to a file
>
>faxmail.

Does faxmail handle TIF?  The man page indicates postscript, but not tiff.
It indicates that I'd need to make a call to an external process in a CIME
converters directory.

>> 5. place the fax in the HylaFAX outbound fax queue
>
>faxmail.

What advantage does faxmail provide for this purpose over sendfax?

>> the fax
>
>faxmail.

ibid.

>Kicking and screaming - you should not be running a mail server in pull mode,
>however fetchmail is a typical Unix POP3 puller.

I think that I'd rather set up a .forward or a .procmailrc forwarding call
on the mail server, but although the mailserver has a registered domain
name entry, the fax server (currently separate machines) does not at the
moment.  Can mail be .forward-ed to a user@ip-number rather than
user@hostname? last time I tried, sendmail choked on using an IP number
rather than a hostname.  Guess I'll try and see.  (This was the reason
behing my thoughts of fetching the mail.)

Thanks.

Lee Howard

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions