Problem with modems dropping after first page

I have Linux 2.12.20 and a Rockwell K56 modem (also same problem with
4800 baud CVS modem) ..., am having problems with Hylafax Server
dropping communications after the first page.  the last line is always
<--data ... I cannot figure out what is going on.

Hylafax 4.1beta1 RPM for RH6
current mgetty and both ghostscript 5.1 and 6

I have two different machines with the same problem.

begin:vcard
n:Coss;Charley
tel;pager:8474177778@pager.nextel.com
tel;fax:847-733-8954
tel;work:847-733-9370
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.cosscomm.com
org:Coss Communications, Inc.
adr:;;1724 Chicago Avenue;Evanston;Illinois ;60201;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:charley@cosscomm.com
title:Vice President, NA
fn:Charley Coss