modem dials while my receiver hums

Hello,
	excuse the lack of technical terms.  My modem often dials, yet my
receiver is still humming(I listen in).  By humming, I mean the sound the phone
makes when you pick up the receiver before dialing.
  	So the modem dials, the
receiver is humming.  My modem starts beeping, eventually my phone starts
making the off hook beeping noise and my modem takes this as a busy signal.  In
fact, the other side was never even rung up.

	Yes, I've looked at the config man pages.

Thanks
George

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions