sendfax not pre-pending a '1' on out-of-area calls

I am in area code 425.  hfaxd on the fax server knows this (i've checked the
config file).  Yet, when I enter a line like:
sendfax ... -d 'name@520-555-5555' ...
I get errors "carrier not detected".  Looking at the logs, I see that it is
dialing
"ATDT5205555555" without the "1" in front.  So, of course it's failing.

I thought hfaxd was supposed to automatically handle out-of-area calls.  I've
looked at my etc/dialrules and it looks fine.  I've never modified it, so it's
the default that comes with hylafax.

Am I not configuring something?  What do I need to do to get this to work?

devnull@ad1440.net          S/W Developer       http://www.ad1440.net/~devnull
        Linux Viruscan:  Windows 95/98/NT Found Remove it ? (Y/y)
GCS/IT@ d? s+:++>: a29 C++++$ ULS++++$ P++ L++>+++ E W+++ N+ o? K- w O- M- V--
PS+ PE Y+ PGP+ t+@ 5++ X+ R++ tv--@ b+++ DI++ D G e++ h----@(++) r+++() y++++*
                  (http://www.ebb.org/ungeek to decode)