Re: Help! HylaFax won't handshake

> Jan 10 10:33:23 george FaxSend[230]: MODEM flush i/o
> Jan 10 10:33:23 george FaxSend[230]: <-- [15:ATE0V1Q0S0=0H0\r]
> Jan 10 10:33:23 george FaxGetty[185]: ANSWER: Can not lock modem device
> 	******* Is the lock message a problem?  My understanding is that

Not in this context.  Faxgetty has noticed that the modem has sent
some data to the computer but backs off when it discovers that it is locked.

> FaxGetty would like to lock other processes out, and can do this if I set
> device to /dev/modem , but is not able to do this if I set it direct to the

You have a misconfigured system if you don't use the same device name
for all applications; hylafax has no preference for /dev/modem, it
is Red Hat Linux that has this misfeature.

> serial port.  Thus it's up to me, the user, to make sure that something does
> not try to access that port during faxing.  Am I mistaken? *****

If you go off hook with another application without a proper lock, faxgetty
will try to answer what it thinks is an incoming call!  Specifically
it will eat characters that should have gone to the other application
whilst looking for "RING".

> 	***  Bull.  After I hear my modem dial 7 times, I pick up the receiver
> to listen in.  The other side answers with the sound of a chirping fax.  I

The remote side answers with a pure, continuous, 2100 Hz tone.  Even the
sending side is sending a pure (1300Hz ?) interrupted tone, not a chirped
(frequency modulated) one.

Sometimes answering problems are avoided by removing the @ from the dial
string, but this can upset cases where there is an automatic fax switch,
so might need to be done with an & prefixed entry in the info file for
the problem number.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions