Re: hylafax&suse 6.3

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Frank Heine-Silberg wrote:

> Hello, my despiration is growing !
>
> I´ using the suse 6.3 frontend with susefax and HYLAfax. My Equipment
> is an 3Com 10/100Lan+56k modem and after installation of the rpm´s I
> can sent my faxes everywhere I want to. But after a reboot there is no
> possibility to fax anymore.
> But I have installed the rpm »mgetty«
> the file of installation is: var/spool/fax/etc.

*GACK*. We have *GOT* to modify that script. egetty and vgetty are
compatible components from the mgetty software. But a standard mgetty
installation has a number of directo conflicts with HylaFAX!

Simplify: get the mgetty out of there, and re-install the HylaFAX carefully.
Be aware that there are a stack of patches, incorporated in the latest
4.1beta1 and beta2 sources and 4.1beta1 RPM, for recent Linux releases.

> I´ve read the man pages and your hylafax faq´s, but I don´t find an
> answe
> r to my problem.
> Even the mailing list doen´t know somthing usefull

Start from a clean installation, and stay away from custom front ends of
unknown lineage. After installation, send a simple test fax of text files
just to make sure it works and works upon restart.

Also remember that the RPM's at the www.hylafax.org site were built under
RedHat 6.x, not SuSE Linux. For compilation testing details, hit
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/linux and look at my notes there.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions