Re: Sharing Fax and Data line

Actually, /dev/modem is a sym link to whatever device your modem is
hooked up to.  AFAIK, it's not unique to RH.  It's supposed to make life
easier in that you can move the modem around from, say, ttyS1 to ttyD0
if you get a digi board without having to reconfigure all your software
configs.

/dev/cdrom is handled much the same way.

/dev/modem, howver, tends to make a mess of device locks, and cause
conflict, as there are now 3 names (ttyS1, cua1, and modem) by which a
device can be addressed.

Make life easy on yourself and alsways use the tty device to which your
modem is connected.  cuaX is no longer really necessary.

--Yan

--

Think different
	ride a recumbent