RE: Cant detect my modem

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Nasrul wrote:

> after reconfiguring the hylafax.( now i'm using 4.1 beta 1),the result
> still the same which is I cant see the note that say the modem is
> running and idle. However the Hylafax server is running..so there must
> be something wrong with initialization of the modem. This is what i got
> from FaxMaster.

OK. So you've got hfaxd and faxq running. Does the modem show up in "faxstat"?
And did you re-run faxsetup and faxaddmodem after updating your software?

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:05:38 +0800
> From: The HylaFAX Receive Agent <fax@accutech.com>
> To: FaxMaster@linux.accutech.com
> Subject: modem on /dev/modem appears wedged
>
> The HylaFAX software thinks that there is a problem with the modem
> on device /dev/modem that needs attention; repeated attempts to
> initialize the modem have failed.
>
> Consult the server trace logs for more information on what is happening.

This is not good. Let's think on this:

> > Hi..I'm Nasrul
> > I'm using Hylafax4.0 patch level 2 in my Redhat6.1 linux. My modem is
> > 3Com USR 56k faxmodem. The hylafax server seems running, but there is
> > nothing about modem whether it's running and idle or not at all. ALong
> > with this email, i attached the mail that i got from FaxMaster.

What model of USR fax/modem? Internal or external? If it's external,
check if there is something controlling the modem like a "minicom" or
other modem job, and make sure you haven't also accidentally installed
and enabled the "mgetty" software. And power cycle the damn modem, and
see if you can open it with minicom and talk directly to it.

Have you got the config file for the modem?

Look in /var/spool/locks/ for entries about jobs which own the modem.
Make sure your "/etc/inittab" setting is correct, to run the faxgetty
service on your modem line at boot time and restart it when it ends a
job.

Also, double check what your modem line is set to: /dev/modem is
usually a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, and you have to
look for jobs or lock files on those as well. And /dev/ttyS2 uses the
same IRQ's as /dev/ttyS0, /dev/ttyS3 the same as /dev/ttyS1 (this is
not our fault! It's the lack of available IRQ's and an old standard for
serial ports!) Those should also be checked.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu