Re: HylaFAX with Macs, CGI or MacFlex?

Great! I am glad there is interest.

I had an (email) conversation with the developer of MacFlex. He indicated
that he will work on the product but when his time allows. He was unsure
whether he might release it as open source one day or perhaps as shareware.

None of the other Mac clients seems to be sufficiently mature.

However, I have done some more work on the PPD driver. I created a driver
which accepts text fields but have run into several problems:

1- I don't know enough about fax transmission. For instance, what is the
optimum screen ruling for halftones (or does the fax standard support
greyscales?). I know the resolution is approximately 200x100dpi in low res
and 200x200 in hi, but how do I tell Hylfax which to use once Ghostscript
has rendered the image?

2- I am having difficulties with the PPD interface. The Apple Tech Note 1068
which details the DITL and ppdT resources comes with a sample file which
doesn't work! I don't know if this is because the TN was written for
Laserwriter 8.5.1 and I am using 8.7, but the interface elements are all
screwed up.

3- Can I just drop some tags into the postscript for the destination phone
number, etc.? Or is there some other mechanism that Hylafax uses?

If someone is knowledgable in any of these areas and would like to lend a
hand creating this PPD I would be most grateful. This PPD would be a neat
solution and might even work on under Windows. Hopefully many people could
benefit from it.

Please email directly.

Ari Maniatis

on 12/12/99 12:24 am, Iain Stevenson at iain@iainstevenson.com wrote:

> Aristedes,
>
> There are still some of us about with Macs! - did you find out whether the
> source code for the other Mac fax clients is available?
>
> Iain Stevenson

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
email info@ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions