faxaddmodem error unable to perform all requested operations

Hi,

I have been looking into the error message that is produced by
the faxaddmodem script. The message is :

/bin/stty: standard input: unable to perform all requested
operations

and is displayed 3 times during the course of the script as a
result of executing the 'SendtoModem' function on lines 838,
938 and 942.

First of all, it is important to note that this is a warning
message and can be ignored; the script still works well.

I have also found the problem to be line 773 which says:

   onDev $STTY 0; sleep 1     # reset the modem (hopefully)

Simply deleting this line causes the messages to go away
without seemingly affecting the working of the script.

Why the messages suddenly appeared is more of a mystery -
the earliest sighting on the mailing list was April this
year with repeats in October and November. The stty code
hasn't changed from 1996 so it's not the culpit. I suspect
the 2.2 Linux kernel  - I'm using 2.2.12.

I would be interested to hear if other people with different
Unix kernels have the same problem; I would be even more
interested to know if the problem goes away with the Linux
2.3.x series kernels.

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Leicester, UK.