Problems configuring a modem on /dev/cua/b

Hi everybody, I'm trying to configure a modem (USR 56k fax) on the /dev/cua/b serial device of a Solaris 2.7 Intel machine (the version of the hylafax server is v4.0pl2).
faxaddmodem completes without any errors or warnings, it seems to find the modem but, after running faxmodem, I don't see any status information about the newly installed modem...
the funny thing is that I do the same on the other serial port (same modem, same everything)   I have status information immediately after completing faxmodem.
Does the absence of status information mean that my server, when having multiple modems, is not going to use the one on cua/b (I tried and this seems to be the case)?
Any ideas?
thanks

                     xmedia
 idee e tecnologie per la comunicazione interattiva
Marco Dellantonio      mailto:dellantonio@xmedia.net
Developer Senior               http://www.xmedia.net
via Tiberio Imperatore, 15 C/27  tel. +39 06 5423691
00145 Roma Italia               fax  +39 06 54236934