MIME/PostScript/PDF tools

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Jamie Carl wrote:

> I've been using hylaxfax for almost a whole month now and i love it.
> But the only thing that i didn't like was how i had to go about viewing
> received faxes.  Then i learnt about the bin/faxrcvd file and i came up
> with nice little command line, that when inserted into the right place
> will attach the fax that was just received to the notification email that
> gets sent to 'faxmaster'.
>
>       uuencode $FILE 'fax'$COMMID'.tif'
>
> This was done on SCO Openserver 5.0.4 using the uuencode command line
> tool.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with other operating systems
> that have a uuencode program.  Wot this does it uuencodes the file to

Right: this is how we used to do things before MIME showed up.  There
are a plethora of freeware tools to do precisely this in that more
common format, although I think MIME enabled tools and browsers are
quite capable of handling plain uuencode.

                        Nico Kadel-Garcia
                        Senior Engineer, CIRL
                        Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
                        raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu

Nico:

You reference freeware/shareware MIME tools.  Could you please
let the group know (including myself) what the tools are that you
are referring to?  Where can they be found?  If you are sending
native PostScript files to HylaFax (which I am) is there a tool
that will directly convert PostScript to Mime?  Or, if you want
the attachment to be read by the widest number of mail programs
is it a good idea to use GhostScript (or are there any other tools?)
to convert it to PDF before subsequently converting it to MIME
format for transmission.

Any insights would be welcome.

BTW, I'm running OpenServer 5.0.5.

Thanx,