Re: Whose looking after Hylafax?

Phil Watkinson wrote:

> >We have been on the same official revision (4.0pl2) for at least the
> >last 9 months. The www.hylafax.org site has been setup (which is great
> >- but where are your names? - I know Robert Colquhoun is one of them),
> >but it still just gives a list of patches to apply. Still no new
> >release.
> >

> The team behind hylafax.org is separate from the maintainer and the
> development of the source code. Anyway, are names important? You can
> always contact us either through this list or via webmaster@hylafax.org.

Actually I think the names are important. It is akin to the names of
contributors at the top of piece of code. I would like to be able to
mention you guys in my thanks!

> >I see a lot of good, talented & motivated people running around this
> >list. I think it is time we moved forward....
>
> I agree. They are people willing to make a consistent contribution to
> HylaFAX, David Woolley, as you point out, a prime example. I wish
> sometimes that there were more coders available to help.

I think you will fine there are a lot more out there than you might
think. I for one made some minor mods to the code, posted the patches
to the list and then it essentially went quiet. Not very encouraging
for others to see. I think once the code is opened up, more people
will post up their minor changes.

> >........ If not, I think it is time
> >we did the unthinkable and forked the code.
>
> Let's leave it at that - unthinkable.

No maybe it shouldn't be unthinkable. However it should be the
absolute last resort. A threat if you like. As a maintainer, you have
to be both provide direction and listen to your community. If you stop
listening, then forking is what happens. It keeps the maintainers on
the straight and narrow.

> >So guys I think it is time for Hylafax 4.1! Take all those patches -
> >shove them in there and just shove it up on the Hylafax web site. If
> >not, I'm going to put it up on mine. It will create lots of confusion
> >and hassle, but if its the only way to start this project moving
> >again, it'll be worth it.
>
> We desperately need a new patch level, and the quickest way that is
> going to happen is to build on the work that has been happening
> behind the scenes over the last few months.

Agreed.

Damian

* Damian Ivereigh     *      ||        ||      * Cisco Systems, Inc.
*
* MIS Printer Admin   *    .||||.    .||||.    * Sydney, Australia
*
* Linux Bigot         * ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. * +61 2 8448 7344
*
* damian@cisco.com    *   cisco Systems, Inc.  * Fax: +61 2 8448 7228
*

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions