received tiffs (slightly) corrupt?

Hi,

I have a hylafax setup which is working very nicely,
except that the received TIFFs seem to be slightly
corrupted.

$ rpm -q hylafax ghostscript ghostscript-fonts libtiff redhat-release
hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5
ghostscript-5.10-6
ghostscript-fonts-4.03-1
libtiff-3.4-4
redhat-release-5.2-1

(Installed hylafax RPM with --nodeps, though I may upgrade
gs next time I'm around to fix any problems...)

xv says (among other things):

"fax00006.tif: Warning, unknown field with tag 34908 (0x885c) ignored."
and after a couple of them (34908 and 34910), it goes onto
"Fax3Decode1D: Warning, fax00006.tif: Premature EOF at scanline XXX (x YY)"

No Windows package I have is prepared to open them, although they look
just about OK once xv has finished complaining.  (Except that it seems
to fill in the rest of the prematurely ended lines with whatever colour
it was on, meaning there are some black streaks.)

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  (The question in the FAQ
didn't seem to apply.)

As I recall, the modem's a pretty generic (Multi-Tech?) 14.4k class 2
fax modem.

More details upon request...

Matthew.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions