Modem Wedged on Binary Only Distribution (was: HylaFAX-v4.0pl2)

> I'm trying to get  started with a binary distribution of Hylafax-4.0pl2.

Which binary distribution?  What operating system?  What version of the
operating system (NB Linux kernel versions are less important than the
name of the distribution and its version)?  Have you attempted to obtain
support from the distributor of the binary version?

> The documentation seems a little cryptic to me at times.

Relevant examples, so we can explain or someone can clarify in the
next version?

> I've run faxsetup and faxaddmodem for a Gateway 2000 Telepath II.
> faxq and hfaxd are running but when I try to use sendfax. I get a mail
> message back from the system that states.
> "modem on /dev/cua0 appears wedged" and "repeated attempts to initialize
> the modem have failed".

You are not by any chance running another getty on cua0 are you?  (Note
for Linux you should be using ttyS0 for everything (although it is more
important to ensure you are using the same one for everything) - cua0 should
be considered obsolete; cua0 will work if used consistently).
You are strongly reccommended to run faxgetty even for outgoing only
configurations.  I've never run it any other way, but recent articles
suggest that you may need to run faxstate if you are not using faxmodem -
please check the archives as this information may be unreliable.

> It also says "Consult the server trace logs".
>  What is the name of the server trace log and where do I find it?

See the config man page.

[ I've changed your subject as the original had almost no information in it. ]

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions