Re: RTN Problem

Robert Colquhoun writes:

> Hi Ulrich,

[ Now there are two people who asked almost the same question at the
  same time, and by coincidence we have the same first name, too.
  Don't be confused. ;-) ]

> This is my list for handling negative-retrains from selected
> receiving locations(ie you are getting them from some locations,
> *not* everywhere you send):

That is exactly the behaviour I observe.

> 1) Apply the tagline patch as currently there is a coding error in
> the facsimiles sent by hylafax giving a legitimate reason for the
> receiving fax to ask for the page again.

Done. No success.

> 2) Apply the speed reduce patch, just in case it is line noise
> causing the bad transmission

I did not apply the patch, but speed was reduced to 2400 bps without
success. Line noise is unlikely; modem and receiving fax machine are
sitting on the same desk. ;-)

> 3) If sending a 2D encoded doc, try a 1D document, some faxes have
> difficulty with 2D encoding

1D does not work either.

> 4) Try class 1, just in case there is something funny in the modems
> firmware

Class 1 works! It really seems to point to a modem problem.

> 5) Try another modem, apart from a Zyxel 1496/6.19 ;-)

Ulrich, could you confirm that you have the same modem? You did not
mention it in your original question.

> 6) Phone up receiver - ask them nicely to buy a new fax machine

;-)

> I might be on drugs, but there might also be other problem that is
> not handled yet - it appears that when ghostscript encodes a tiff
> document it includes the RTC sequence at the end of each page, when
> sending a fax hylafax just copies this out the port to the receiving
> machine and then adds its own RTC ie the RTC is sent twice.

> But i might be imagining this, i haven't had time to check this out
> properly.

I also have tried to send a fax from the fax machine to the computer
and then send the received file back, so no ghostscript would be
involved. I still get RTN.

--
Ulrich Mueller, Inst. fuer Kernphysik, Univ. Mainz, D-55099 Mainz
ulm@kph.uni-mainz.de, Phone +49 6131 39-5812, Fax -2964

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions