permissions nightmare

Hi, I installed HylaFax v4.0pl2-1 on a Slackware 3.5, Linux 2.0.36
x86 system, from the package hylafax-i386-linux-v4.0pl2-1.tar.gz.  I'm
using a USR 28.8 Ext. Sportster Vi.  I unpacked the files, and ran
faxsetup and faxaddmodem with no problems.

The /var/spool/fax directory wasn't readable to faxgetty, although
faxgetty was owned by root.root.  Faxgetty only seems to run if
/var/spool/fax and recvq has 777 permissions.

These errors turn up in my sysog, I don't know what they mean:

Nov 25 15:43:30 kearneys FaxGetty[4028]: Failed to find free commid
(seqnum=9)
Nov 25 15:47:46 kearneys FaxGetty[4028]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 15

When a data call comes in, getty segfaults.  I tried symlinking getty
to mgetty, but couldn't get mgetty not to reset the modem (thus dropping
the connection).

For now, I'm just running mgetty by itself for data calls.  Thanks for
your help.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions