waiting for modem to come ready

I use:

HylaFax distributed with SuSE Linux 5.1 (sorry, I do not have the exact
version, since I found this list at home, and the server is at my
office)
US Robotics Sportster 5600 Flash

The modem can be configured without problem (faxaddmodem), it sends its
manufacturer code and identity, also it can be reached with cu an
answers to all questions correctly.

However, if I try to add this modem via faxmodem (only outbound service
used), the HylaFAX Server does not recognise, that he has a new modem.
I first thought, that I had a problem with the modem, because I only got
from faxstat

HylaFAX [..] Server running
Modem [ttyS1]: waiting for modem to come ready

I then tried on ttyS0, but I never got another message, although the
modem on ttyS1 was not active anymore and I altered the status via
faxmodem to down.

With faxmodem I had to use the -n option, since I do not use faxgetty.

Does anybody know, in which files HylaFAX keeps a list of the active
modems, or what I have done wrong?

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions