Weded Modem with faxgetty

I've got a problem I've been working on for days.  Hylafax works for a
short while after an installation but then fails with a wedged modem.
Faxsending works great with faxq and faxmodem.  It also works with faxq
and faxgetty...  for a while.  Then the modem appears to hang and faxq
reports that the modem is wedged.  While faxq attemps to re-initialize
the modem there is no actual serial port traffic (I have an external
modem).

Any ideas?

Additional Information:
Linux 2.0.34