--------------------------------------
Date: 7/9/98 8:08 AM
To: Michael Firkins
From: Phil Watkinson
At 16:16 03/09/98 -0700, Aaron Newsome <aaron.d.newsome@wdc.com> wrote:
>Textfmt is complaining that it cannot find metric files for Courier-
>Bold, so hylafax is unable to send ASCII text attachments.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this. I looked at the
>ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap file but I guess I really don't have a clue.
>
>The Hylafax docs simply skim over the Fonts issue completely.

Hi,

Well, Q44 in the HylaFAX FAQ covers this. Briefly, textfmt doesn't
use the ghostscript Fontmap. It looks for a file, for instance,
called 'Courier-Bold.afm' and, if it cannot find that, a file called
'Courier-Bold' in the AFM directory.

You can :

(1)  Use the afm fonts included in the source package; or if you
     have a binary distribution without them, there is a seperate
     file called afm-tar.gaz at ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/binary.

(2)  If you want to use the ghostscript fonts, which use a dos
     compatible 8.3 filename format, you have two choices :

     (a) provide your own links; there is a perl script which looks
         at the Fontmap file and creates the links. I will send
         the script 'fontmap.perl' directly to you.

     (b) use Robert Colquhoun's textfmt-fontmap.patch which enhances
         HylaFAX textfmt/faxmail to use the ghostscript Fontmap
         directly. Obviously you will need to be happy about
         patching, compiling, and installing the source. Robert's
         webpage is at http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/hylafax/

Hope this helps,

Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.