Re: Accessing received faxes

>I'm currently running faxgetty on a RH5.1 box.  When faxes are recieved,
>they are stored in /recvd with owner:group of uucp:wheel so only root can
>access the fax files.  How do I get faxgetty to save the faxes with
>different owner:group?

Given that the system isn't (and shouldn't be) running as root, you can't
save to a different owner/group than you are a member of.  However, look at
setting
RecvFileMode:           0644
in your config.<modem> file in spool/etc

>I understand there are many using web servers to provide access to their
>received faxes.  I've set up Apache web server so that users
>can see the list of faxes in /recvd, but we get "forbidden messages" when
>trying to access a faxfile (presumably from the above owner:group
>situation). How do I get around this?

The above should fix this, since the above allows the web server (running as
nobody, I assume) to read files written by user uucp.

>And is it really necessary to run a cgi script just to access
>faxfiles from a web browser?  Can't one just allow users to get those
>files as they would via ftp through the browser?

You might try accessing the system via a URL like:
ftp://your.machine.here:4559/recvd/spooledfilename

>Thanks,
>
>Philip Juels
>philip_juels@harvard.edu

Hope this helps.