Re: 4.0pl2 and gcc-2.8.1 -- UPDATE

Hello,

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Mark G. Thomas wrote:
>
> > My original problems were related to some broken or incompatible regex
> > stuff that the hylafax configure script was picking up in /usr/local.
>
> What? I do not have this under SunOS 4.1.4. Do you have something
> extra installed that is confusing HylaFAX configuration?

I had something extra installed that was confusing the HylaFAX configuration.

I removed it, and re-extracted the HylaFAX source, and re-applied the
gcc-2.8.x compatibility patches.

> > Having solved that, I'm still unable to compile 4.0pl2 under gcc-2.8.1 and
> > libg++-2.8.1.1a/libstdc++-2.8.1.1 under SunOS-4.1.4.  I have applied
> > the gcc-2.8.x patches from http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/patches/
> >

> Did you also do a "make maintainer-clean" or run the patch on
> completely clean source code?

Yes.

> I wonder if you had some debris left
> from earlier attempts that are confusing the software? Or whether

No.

> something has changed for libstdc++ or libg++ for SunOS that I am not
> aware of (I am still using gcc-2.7.2.2).

Yes.  Something has changed.  I have no trouble compiling 4.0pl2 using
gcc-2.7.2.2.  The problem is we are phasing out gcc-2.7.2.2 on our systems,
and I am working on some other HylaFax issues, so need to be able to
recompile HylaFax under gcc-2.8.1, if possible.  I'd hate to have to keep
gcc-2.7.2.2 around for the sole purpose of compiling HylaFax.

> In fact, is there any reason you can't use my HylaFAX binaries at
> http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax/sun?

Yes.  I am having some modem/port problems and may need to do some additional
source modifications to work around them.  Sun Serial port flow control
pedantics and CD/DSR timing issues seem to be interfering with some newer
Multitech modems we have, and I can't seem to work around it with modem
settings and supported config options.  I hate to try to support software
here that I can't readily recompile as needed.

-Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark@Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions