Re: Mail to fax gateway

On Wed Sept 2, Nico Kadel-Garcia replied:

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 shui@yxepna01.pointsnorth.com wrote:

> I have installed hylafaxv4.0pl1 on a Sparc machine running Solaris 2.6.
> On the Windows98 PC client, I have installed whfc.  Everything is
> working fine.  I'm able to send fax from PC and receive fax on the
> Hylafax server.
>
> However, we need to integrate Hylafax with an application which can
> only issue email request i.e. send fax to Hylafax via email from the
> PC clients.  I read the documentation that comes with the hylafax
> binary distrbution and it mentioned something called
> faxmail/mailfax.sh-sendmail.  Where can I find it?

>>> In the source code: it should be in your installation.

>>>Perhaps if you got more recent source, from
     ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/

Thanks.  I'll look at it.  Since I only have the binary, I guess faxmail
is not bundled with the binary distribution.

> According to the documentation, after faxmail is correctly installed,
> mail to user@dest.fax will get formatted and submitted as a fax job to
> user at the specified destination "dest".  Is it true that this email
> addressing only works if mail is sent from another Unix mail client?
> If I am sending email using the above addressing style without specifying
> the mail host, how can it tell where to send the fax to the fax server?
> I'll expect the email address should be something like :
> user@dest.fax.faxserver.com etc.

>>>The specified "dest" should include the telephone number. You *REALLY*
>>>should read the documentation on your system or in the source code on
>>>this.

Yes, I understand that "dest" really means fax number.  However, if I send
the fax from a Windows98 client via mail to the fax server, I need to
specify
the mail path in my email address.  user@dest.fax is only meaningful to the
fax server with mail-to-fax gateway installed such that the sendmail.cf can
interpret that it's actually a fax.  My question is: how to send that fax
to the fax server via email from a Windows 98 client and at the same time
preserve information "user@dest.fax"?

Thanks a lot!

Sandie

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions