Re: faxmail fails on mime message/rfc822

Michael,

	I just confirmed, with you message in fact, that the patch
works great.

    Michael> I found out, that is is very difficult to debug faxmail
    Michael> :(.

Well, I tried to do it with the help of my son. Unfortunately at a
year and 3 months, although he many comments, they didn't help too
much. :)

    Michael> The author(s) tried to make it object-oriented, but
    Michael> he/they used to much of inheritance and
    Michael> polymorphism. Well, perhaps "to much" is not correct, but
    Michael> he/they used it in a way, that the output is very
    Michael> complicated.

It took me a while to battle it out. I think what it really lacks is
some notes on the architecture. More specifically, how the classes
relate to one another and the purpose of each. At a low level, the
code seems fairly well commented.

    Michael> data structures while debugging (DDD segfaulted several
    Michael> times :( ).

I didn't have any problems with that. I'm using version 3.0 with gdb
4.17. The combination seems much more stable than 2.2.3 (?) and gdb
4.16. If you're not using DDD 3.0, its worth the upgrade. For one
thing, it remembers what you where looking at in the data window as
you move between functions.

The only problem that I had was fclose causing a segv. When I was
running faxmail under gdb, I did:

	faxmail -v < some_captured_mail.txt

Looks like an bug in libgcc or somewhere. This was on Linux at home,
while I at work I run it under SunOS 4.1.4. Under Linux:

	cat some_captured_mail.txt | faxmail -v

works fine, but I could not figure out how to run it that way.

The next step is to get it to work in Japanese, a project that has
been on the back-burner for about year or more. It means modifying
TextFmt, MsgFmt and faxmail, at least, to support the various
Japanese Kanji encodings. That should keep be busy for awhile :)

Thanks again,

	Andy

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions