Re: automatic processing of received facsimile

Garmann Bernhard <bernhard.garmann@netkom.de> writes:

[snip]
> Question:
> How accurate and reliable can this conversion be done with the above
> mentioned
> command chain: fax2ps | ps2ascii | myParseScript.awk | bigDataBaseApp .
[snip]

I don't think that will work. AFAIK, ps2ascii is not an OCR program,
it just extracts ascii text that already exists as text in a ps file -
it doesn't convert bitmaps into text.

You need to find an OCR program and then your procedure will look like:

fax (tiff) --> [OCR program] | yourParseScript.awk | bigDataBaseApp

Even with the very best OCR technology, I'm guessing you'll get very
poor results doing OCR on most faxes.

-Kevin

--
 Kevin Cheek <kcheek@umich.edu>
 University of Michigan, Department of Internal Medicine

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions