Re: network problems

Henrik,

FTP is a two-piece protocol.  There is a control connection, which is
opened FROM you TO the machine you FTP on.  Then, there is a data
connection, which (transiently) is opened FROM the machine you ftp to TO
your machine on every data transfer comment.

Since STAT, USER, and PASS are working, but LIST (and presumably GET as
well) are failing, chances are the remote machine can't open a data
connection back to you.  I wouuld suspect your address translation is not
working in both directions, so when the remote machine attempts to open
the data connection back to you, it fails.  Check to make sure the IP
address you appear to be coming really maps back to your machine.  Your
NAT software ought to know how to do this, but may be configured
improperly.

Good luck.

David.

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Henrik Genssen, media factory gmbh wrote:

> Hi out there,
> I have a network problem with Hylafax.
>
> After installing in on a linux 5.2 box it worked fine.
> I used whfc 8.8 (great tool! :-@) and had no problems...
>
> Then I changed the IP Adress of the Linux box (from a 192 segment to an
> internet segment)  did some Network - Adress - Translation in between
> those two segments and I had no chance of working on.
>
> what I tried is:
> ftp to the Linux - Box works
> Telnet on Port 4559 works as well...
> I can login, do a STAT command
> but if I do a LIST command I get:
> 425 Cannot build data connection: Connection refused.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Henrik

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions