faxgetty outputs to the prompt!!

Linux 2.0.33 Sportster 28.8  and Courier HST Dual Standard, HylaFAX4.0pl1.

I read it's useful to let faxgetty manage the modem (even in a send-only environment) so I run faxsetup and let it put faxgetty in inittab.
Now the modem is "wedged" and when faxgetty tries to set up the modem it outputs to the normal unix prompt so that, when I'm doing something else, all of a sudden this is what I get

[root@b etc]#
OK

OK

OK