Re: Email gateway using Sendmail

Martin Dean wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've got sendmail 8.8.7, hylafax-v4.0pl2, RedHat 5.1, kernel 2.0.34
>
> I've edited sendmail.cf and I can send faxes to predefined users in /etc/aliases.
>
> How do I get it working so that I can fax via email to user@faxnumber.fax ?
> When I try this,  sendmail complains about no domainname "fax".
>
> Here is a copy of sendmail.cf .  Any help is greatly appreciated!
> To see the changes I put in for this, search for Martin
>
> Martin
> mdean@crdgh.hnet.bc.ca
>

> Thanks
>
> please CC me directly with any info.
> Martin

HI Martin,

what you still need to do is to add a new mailer for fax. I did it like
this:

-------------start of sendmail.cf part
--------------------------------------

####################################
###   FAX Mailer specification   ###
####################################

Mfax,           P=/usr/bin/faxmail, F=DFMhu, S=14, R=24, M=100000,
T=X-Phone/X-FAX/X-Unix,
                A=faxmail -v -n -s a4 -d $u@$h $f 2>/var/log/faxlog

-------------end of sendmail.cf part

put it close to the SMTP Mailer specification.

The Parameter P should include your path to the faxmail program and the
parameter A contains the program invocation commands.

By the way, the easiest way for me to edit the sendmail.cf are the m4
macros. In this case you would only add a mailer "fax". But it leads to
a slightly different result than you see here (it didn't work on my
system).On my system (S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2) they are found in
/usr/share/sendmail. But when you installed sendmail via rpm you can
also find them typing:

rpm -ql sendmail | grep m4

The README there is really helpful.

Cheers,Ralf!