Re: Best modem

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>

> > I have had excellent success using Multitech ZDX modems in a number of
> > Hylafax installations. Inexpensive but very capable, with a support staff
> > that's been Unix-friendly for a decade.
>
> But what's the deal with them removing Class 2 capability on their later
> modems?  I've got one sitting on my desk that only gives:
>
> 	AT+FCLASS=?
> 	0,1,1.0

I believe the trick is *not* getting the ones with voice capability. I'd
heard that there wasn't enough room on the EPROM for voicemail and fax
class 2.0 capability. Since most Hylafax applications have no need for
voice capability, the data/fax modems such as the 2834ZDXb are fine.

Evan Leibovitch * Xunil Computing * Brampton, Ontario, Canada * www.xunil.com
 Supporting Intel-based Unix and Linux since 1985 * Caldera & SCO authorized
                  Ask me about the Toronto Linux Users Group

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions