Re: Dial-in Fax to Email Server

The usual way of doing this is to have a group of DID numbers assigned
to one or more incoming lines.  For instance you could have
200 phone numbers assigned to one incoming phone line.
Then you assign a unique DID phone number
to each person/company that will be receiving incoming faxes.
When the calls arrive, the phone company sends info about which DID
number was called as part of the call connection process.  Your
hardware grabs this, then you know where to route the incoming FAX.

Not sure if any common pc modems can deal with the DID signaling
information.  You might need to use something like dialogic cards.

The other approach is to use an ISDN line for the incoming calls,
these often give you the "called number" as part of the call
setup.  For instance if you have a 3COM/USR Total control modem
rack connected to and ISDN PRI line, you can get this kind of
info on the incoming calls.

--

For examples of people using these techniques look at the services
that provide fax to email services -- like www.jfax.com

Jim

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Ed Curtis wrote:

>  I just joined this list yesterday so please forgive if this has been
> covered before. I have been through the list archives with no luck on an
> answer to my question.
>
> Question:
>
>  I work for an ISP that would like to setup Hylafax as an Fax to Email
> Gateway to allow an extra fax service for our customers. I know this is
> possible by using the local identifier for the sender and configuring the
> faxrcvd script to forward to a certain person. What we want to do is
> support multiple recipients on one phone line and have Hylafax
> forward the fax as a tiff attachment via email to the recipient.
> Is there a way for Hylafax to distinguish the person to forward the email
> to by some content in the fax? We have tried to convert the recieved
> faxes to Postscript then convert it to ascii to pull the persons email
> address from the <to:> tag but that didn't work.
>
>  If anyone can point me in the right direction on this it would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Ed Curtis
> edc@kuntrynet.com