Re: Large number of errors with Hylafax and ZyXEL Omni modem

Hi Shuvam,
It's hard to make sense of the numbers below(at least for me), i've got a
small script "errorstats" which parses xferlog for errors grouping by type.

Download from http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/hylafax/

For some numbers - we are using USR Couriers for sending and receiving.
>From the statistics gathered by my errorstats script no particular modem
error is occuring more than 20 times per thousand fax sent.
Roughly:
	Transmit Phase B ~ 13/1000 (The modems are operating in Class 2.0)
	Unknown Modem Problem ~ 17/1000
	T1 Timeout ~ 6/1000
	DCS Errors ~ 7/1000
	EOP Errors ~4/1000
A number of other errors each less than 3 per 1000 fax sent

The negative retrain problem is occuring occasionally, it is worse than
other fax errors in that you always get a complaint from the other end
whereas with the other modems errors fail silently.

I've looked quickly into the source code and i think i can see where to
change the code to stop the retransmit _but_ i am not very keen to do this.
Firstly i am not sure this is the right thing to do and i dont currently
have a good test setup to check whether this is done correctly.

If i was in your situation i would 1) get some accurate data on how many
calls are failing and why 2) double check your configuration 3) get the
telephone company to check all your phone lines.

- Robert

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions