Re: Network problems?

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Alexandre Meissonnier wrote:

> My configuration:
> - Fax server:
>   Linux Kernel 2.0.32 (S.u.S.E. 5.0.2)
>   HylaFAX 4.0pl1
>   Modem ZyXEL U1496E/V 6.01 P
> - Client machine:
>   SCO OpenServer 5.0.2
>   HylaFAX 4.0pl1 client software
>
> On the client machine, we run a program once a week that produces about 70 one-page postscript documents (about 1K size) and forks a sendfax command after each document. The whole thing takes only a few minutes .
> After the job I verify the log file with the standard output of the sendfax commands: Maybe a dozen lines, not more. I verify the fax server and get the following result:
>
> uucp@helena:/var/spool/fax > ps -x|grep fax
>   163  ?  S      0:00 /usr/sbin/faxq
>   165  ?  S      0:00 /usr/lib/fax/hfaxd -i hylafax -o 4557 -s 444
>   172  ?  S      0:00 /usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/ttyS1
> 30390  ?  S      0:00 faxsend -m ttyS1 sendq/q746
> uucp@helena:/var/spool/fax > faxstat -s
> Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.

      Check the /etc/services file for the hylafax ports:

      hylafax 4559/tcp  # Hylafax Client Protocol
      fax 4557/tcp      # Old Clients
      snnp 444/tcp      # Simple NetWork .....

	I hope this can help you....

> The fax server processes are running, but I can't get any connection to
the hylafax (=4559)  port. On the client side I can see one sendfax process
running. After waiting some minutes, suddenly everything works again.
The faxstat command shows that the server is busy sending faxes and new
sendfax commands are possible, too. But faxstat -s shows only roughly half the
faxes produced by the program in the queue. The rest has vanished.

> Questions:
> - Why did some of the sendfax commands simply do NOTHING (not even an error
message)?
> - Why was the server "dead" for several minutes? Can this be due to too many
sendfax commands at the same time?

      This is not a problem the server just put the faxes in a queue and
by turns try to send every fax.

> I don't believe in a general network problem, since I could login from another machine and even establish an X windows connection (xterm) to the fax server.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> 	Alexandre
>
> --
> Alexandre Meissonnier