Re: Adaptive answer using PPP as getty under Linux

Hello,

first of all thank you very much to all people who helped me. I performed
some experiments based on your suggestions. PPP still not working :( Here
are the details:

>This would match my idea that the modem wants to say "CONNECT"
>after the "DATA" message and the launched pppd gets this message
>and no LCP data. Try using ModemWaitForConnect: yes.

I think my modem doesn't send a 'CONNECT' after 'DATA'. It does it instead
after the 'FAX' message. Anyway ModemWaitForConnect doesn't seem to work.
To make 'FAX' call work in the right way I had to add:

ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd:       "<waitfor:CONNECT>"

in the config file. I tried adding the same thing to data calls but this
didn't solve the PPP problem. Anyway I'll double check this issue because
things seems to be really consistent with the problems I get.

About ttyS* versus cua* devices. I have many problems using ttyS* instead
of cua*. The modem is used for incoming and outgoing faxes, for internet
connections with dial on demand and also for incoming PPP connections to do
remote admin and to access disks exported by samba (rather complex, I
know). Using ttyS for outgoing internet connections sometimes hangs
everything (I have to kill -KILL the process). It isn't a locking problem
(I double checked). I think this is related to the use of the clocal tty
parameter but I don't understand yet how it really works. I think I should
look into the serial HOWTO before continuing. Now I no longer have a second
modem to do further experiments, so in the meantime I'll try to understand
how serial lines really works under Linux.

Another little question. Where to find info about the egetty program ? I
took a look into the HylaFAX sources and it seems that HylaFAX take actions
based on the return code generated by the egetty program. Anyway I didn't
find any hint in the HylaFAX docs. I'm thinking to an HylaFAX extension to
provide advanced data/fax/voice support.

TIA !

Bye !

	Sbragion Denis
	InfoTecna