Re: Experience: Adaptive answer PAP PPP, PROLiNK 1428LE

Nico Garcia wrote:

    > PPP with PAP:
    > I have done normal instalation an then binary patched faxgetty with emacs
    > hexl-find-file and replaced string /usr/libexec/getty with /usr/sbin/ppp.
    > This can also be done with editing configure script but why bother.
    >
    > config.cuaa0 file is changed for arguments:
    > GettyArgs:              "-direct PAPServerwithPASSWD" # PPP arguments
    >
    > Aditional the  /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown file must contain:
    > PAPServerwithPASSWD:
    >  quit all

    Friend, I think this is a wrong approach. It forces all connections
    directly to your PPP srevice. Instead, why not use a "${username}ppp"
    login name with /usr/etc/ppp-login as their login shell? This permits
    the normal getty to handle the line, for standard log-ins if needed,
    and does not force PPP access. I've used this at work with
    considerable success, and so does my ISP. I dial in as raoulppp, and
    run a telnet under raoul as necessary for shell access.

Some connection protocols (e.g. HDLC framing over ISDN)
doesn't allow a "normal" character based dial-in/login.
I'm using the same (starting pppd directly from faxgetty(1M))
for my ZyXEL 2864I ISDN port. It works fine and using PAP or
CHAP from pppd is also much faster compared with login and
launching pppd from a login-script. If I pick-up an ISDN call
with faxgetty(1M) and directly start the pppd the TCP/IP
stack is up in one or two seconds (at the remote side is
a cisco 2503 which wants to use CHAP for authentication).

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions