Re: Same computer, new phone line, no dial tone

Felix Morley Finch wrote:

    I moved, got another phone line, and using the same computer, same
    software, it no longer dials out.  Complains about NO DIAL TONE.  I'm
    pretty sure it's a modem problem because cu with a manual atdt1234567
    has the same problem.  A phone works fine whether routed thru the
    modem card or not, and the NO DIAL TONE error shows up whether the
    phone is routed thru the modem card or not connected at all.

    I can hear it go off hook very briefly, then NO DIAL TONE.

    It's a several year old USR COURIER.

    I have an ISDN line for the net connection, so there should be no
    problem there.

ISDN doesn't have such things like "tones". It has a D-channel
for call-setup with messages. It's the task of a device like
a ISDN-PBX or a simple a/b adapter to chat D-channel messages
with the telco and provide  the appropriate analog voltage
signals (like dial tone or ring voltage) to the connected analog
phone or modem.

If you have changed this device (because you have now ISDN) the dial
tone voltage or frequency may also have changed and the modem
can't detect the dial tone any more. Most modems support an
ATX? command (e.g. ATX3) to ignore this problem and to go on
with dialing anyway. Check the manual of your modem and add
this value to ModemDialCmd: in the modem config file.

If you don't have such a device like ISDN-PBX or a/b adapter
and only a plain so called So (read S-null) bus you can't
connect your modem and must switch to an ISDN-modem/TA hybrid
(e.g. to a ZyXEL Elite 2864I or to ISDN COURIER modem card).

	matthias

    Could the phone line quality somehow be causing this?  Or does anybody
    have any other clues?

          Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer, rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
                PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F