Re: Need help on Linux

Martin Tanzer wrote:

    Thanks for your quick answer, Mathias. I followed your advice and pulled
    the code and started from the scratch. I didn't remove the old version,
    I just overwrote it. I restarted Hylafax and  I am able to telnet port
    4559 and to run faxstat -v without 'access denied' error. I still get an
    error message with (Login failed: 550 cannot set privileges), but I am
    sure I am a BIG step further. I think you should know that I use SuSE
    5.0. MAybe this saves other users lots of time.

    Martin

I quick glance to the code in hfaxd/ source directory shows:
$ fgrep -i "cannot set privileges" *.c++
Login.c++:      reply(550, "Cannot set privileges.");
$

The reason for this reply in Login.c++ is a failing chroot(2)
or chdir(2) call at line ~150 in Login.c++. Check why the hfaxd(1M)
is unable to perform these calls. Maybe it's not started by root
or installed without setuid bit turned on (e.g. mode 4755) or the
root of the spooling area is a symlink to some other place.
BTW: One could check with strace(1) which of the above sys calls
is failing.

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions