Re: Need help on Linux

I can testify that Matthias ia absolutely right, I have Linux 2.0.29
(in the process of upgrading to 2.0.31, big changes in the tty
access) and downloaded the hylafax source, did configure, make, make
install and faxsetup and wow! it worked with no problem. With the
huge advantage that I can change the source and recompile if needed!

Only one point, if you don't want to have problems, pick a modem that
has been mentioned to work reliably in the list and for which a
config file has been posted and copy that file on top of the one that
faxaddmodem creates for that modem. (please still run faxaddmodem).

One more comment, make sure that you either answer yes to the
question on whether you should place the hfaxd daemon in inet.conf or
that if your machine will have a lot of client traffic, that you add
by hand the hfaxd in one of your init files (check tha man page for
details on the options).

Then either start the faxgetty cuax (x=0,1,2,3 etc.) by hand or add
it to your init file.

By the way my linux distribution is slackware,

Best luck,

Julio

Note: Mattias, Is there a list of the major bugs in hylafax4.pl1
posted anywhere? Thanks.

> From:          Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de
> Subject:       Re: flexfax: Need help on Linux
> To:            office@webpower.co.at (Martin Tanzer)
> Date:          Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:18:24 +0100 (MEZ)
> Cc:            flexfax@sgi.com

> Martin Tanzer wrote:
>
>     Hi, I am trying to set up Hylafax  4.0p11 on two Linux boxes  (as root)
>     with the same result: access denied. I searched in the list and did
>     everything I found posted:
>
>     The fax and the uucp have the same UID,  the same group (uucp), even the
>     same password. The /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts belongs to uucp and has the
>     correct mode (600). When I start hfaxd I get the message in the message
>     file : HylaFAX INET: bind (port 4559): Address already in use, unable to
>     init server.
>
> Check with netstat(1) if there is a LISTEN for this port
> and if so try to find out which daemon (inetd(1M)?) is
> listening on port 4559. If you have a line for this service
> in your file inetd.conf(4F) check the parameters against
> the man page of hfaxd(1M). If you use startup from inetd.conf(4F)
> you must use the flag "-I" and not "-i hylafax".
>
>     When I kill faxd and faxq I still have no access to the ports with
>     faxstat -v or telnet localhost 4559.
>
> There is no faxd(1M) in HylaFAX v4.0pl1 (and if you have faxd you
> have a mix of versions on your system) and faxq(1M) has nothing
> to do with the port 4559.
>
>     I've seen that Linix and Hylafax is a bit tricky - I hope you can help.
>     I spent lots of hours with this stuff.
>
> No. Not Linux && HylaFAX are tricky. I get more and more the feeling
> (esp. since I've had a look onto the Linux of my son) that Linux
> comes with some (faulty) HylaFAX or FlexFAX or mgetty+sendfax
> installations or preparations and also some bugs/problems in the
> binary packages provided by the CD-ROM supplier. Just remove
> everything from your system which smells like "fax" (also from
> the sysem files like passwd(4F) and inetd.conf(4F), pull the
> source (v4.0pl1), configure, make and install from scratch
> (and run faxsetup(1M) :-)).
>
> 	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions