Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

We exchanged:

> > Then take a look at your boot time initialization scripts. Under
> > Linux, they live in /etc/rc.d/various sub-directories, and see if
> > they have anything implanted there by your original installation
> > to start up the hfaxd.
>
> It starts in rc and is a default set by BSDI.  The script reads that if
> /var/spool/fax/etc/config exists, to start faxq and hfaxd with the
> parameter -i, start hylafax -o, start oldfax and start snnp.
> It further states that out-only should be run from rc.local, but there is
> no entry in rc.local.

OK. Got it. What the??? If you're going to start it that way, I
strongly suggest just running the "hylafax.sh" script as part of the
boot process. It's available in the distribution source code if not in
your particular OS's binary distribution. This sets up a single hfaxd
daemon monitoring all 3 ports, and the script can be used to *kill* or
restart the daemons as necessary.

> Before I 'doctor' up some of these files, should I comment the rc section
> relating to hfaxd and then just start it up manually with the -i parameter
> once the system has rebooted?

This looks like an equally good idea, if not better. This would also let
you start it up with a decent debugger to monitor any difficulties.

> Still not clear though what all that has to do with the password prompt it
> insists on giving me.  Another user suggested to insert the following into
> the $SPOOL/etc/hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1:5::
>
> to allow anyone to send a fax without a password prompt.  I figured the
> other user assumed my user "fax" to be uid "5", while I have it set at the
> default "6" as suggested by the mailing list keeper.

This may be part of the problem. Also, a plain

	127.0.0.1
	localhost

should be sufficient to run faxstat from the same host. I'm also not
sure if you need to re-start or kick hfaxd after making such changes.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu