Re: Hylafax - fax user defined in passwd

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Eddie Reed wrote:

> > OK. This is a separate problem, methinks. Did you re-run faxsetup?
> > Does "faxstat" work? Is your $SPOOL/etc/hosts file for HylaFAX
> > permissions set up correctly, which may be the problem?
>
> Yes, I re-ran faxsetup about 5 times, before I decided to reinstall
> hylafax from the BSDI 3.0 distribution.  What ARE the permissions supposed
> to be for the $SPOOL/etc/hosts file?  I have it set for 0600, both user
> and group ownership is "uucp".  One other flexfax subscriber emailed me
> and told me that I have to be sure not to have any trailing spaces,

OK, good. I wasn't sure you had tried those steps: sometimes people
leave stuff out or change things, then are confused when something
they didn't realize was affected gets clobbered.

That "hosts" file should be 0600, uucp owned and uucp group owned.
You could try starting with the hosts file that comes with the
distribution, and seeing if *that* works correctly. Also: how are
you starting hfaxd, starting it with a script at boot time, using
inetd, or what? Do you have only one faxq running and only one hfaxd,
either left running as a boot-time daemon or initiated by inetd?

Faxstat and "telnet localhost 4559" are better tools to see if your
hfaxd is up and running: they don't have to do as many complicated
things, and don't leave failed print jobs in the queue....

> 443 is the SSL port and 444 is the default for the admin portion of
> stronghold.  The stronghold tech suggested to move the admin into a
> different port, I set it for 446 in the httpd.conf file and then was able
> to start stronghold without any problems.
> I commented out the snnp port in /etc/services because I don't need it at
> this time.

OK. I kind of prefer having it there: that way, I can move the
contents of /etc/services around and have HylaFAX follow the changes
(as long as I start hfaxd and any other programs by using the name
"snpp" rather than the number 444).

> Everytime Ireboot the system, I get an error "socket operation on
> non-socket" and hylafax won't always start.  I tried commenting it out of
> the /etc/inetd.conf file and start if by hand, but for some reason, when I
> reboot, the hfaxd starts up anyway on its own, giving me that error that
> it can't bind to port 4559.

*HUH*. This is screwball. OK, definitely take it out of inetd.conf.
Reboot, and see if it is in fact running with a "ps" command.

Then take a look at your boot time initialization scripts. Under
Linux, they live in /etc/rc.d/various sub-directories, and see if
they have anything implanted there by your original installation
to start up the hfaxd.

> There must be something that I am overlooking.

Could be, but it sounds like you're trying the right sort of steps
to find the difficulty.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary