Re: faxsetup on Linux (bug in moduser?)

Carsten Hoeger wrote:

    >     Another point is, that the uid of uucp and fax has to be the same. That's
    >     not a very good solution. We changed this and put uucp and fax in the same
    >     group. That works...
    >
    > The reason for uid(uucp) == uid(fax) are the lock files of UUCP.
    > The normal directory for UUCP-locking is /var/spool/locks,
    > owned by "uucp" with permission 0755. I just checked another
    > Linux box in my company (also a S.u.S.E. distribution)
    > but there seems to be a bug (don't know if this system still
    > matches the CD-ROM):

    The uucp-locking directory is /var/lock in our system...

Happy days with standards ... and:
$ uname -a
Linux wilson 2.0.14 #5 Thu Aug 22 17:01:26 MET DST 1996 i586
$ ls -ld /var/lock
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Mar 17  1995 /var/lock
$

    > If you set "fax" and "uucp" into the same group (e.g. "uucp")
    > you must (at least) also change the rights of this directory.
    >
    > If mgetty+sendfax can live with any uid for "fax" why not
    > setting it to the same as "uucp" per default in S.u.S.E.?

    Some guys here weren't very happy with this solution, so I tried to give
    fax another uid, changed the faxaddmodem to give the FIFO.xxx file
    uucp.uucp as owner and all seems to work -all I have tested-. I use the
    faxserver at home, at our company and several other people use it, too.

I don't know your change and if this change may cause further
problems. There are a lot of complaints in the mailing-list like
"can't create/open FIFO.xxxx" .... This doesn't mean that
this is caused by your changes (a lot of them are not related to
Linux at all), I just want to say: changes like this may affect
other places too.

If you want to add mods to the upcoming pl2, please contact me
directly.

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions