My proposal for flexfax

Now,
	since I see there is some interest, I follow up to the thread...
At first, I am sure the whole dirty work could be well passed to faxgetty,
which could then supercede mgetty, but I see mgetty works well, if it is
configured to handle a direct data line which was handed to it from
faxgetty, and I think we could well continue with such a configuration.
I'm sorry, I don't remember the details, which were on a system stolen by
someone in the beginning of september, with all my mails, but I remember
the most imoprtan clue came from a people working at SuSe un Germany.
My real question was about a callback capability, either autonomous, or
configured like in mgetty's login.config lines I have sent yesterday to
Nico:

cback-lore      -       -       /usr/sbin/callback -S 123456789
#
#   New comment:                                  ^^^^ this option
#						tells mgetty to use
#						the same line the call
#						came from; the last
#						one is the telephone
#						number to call
#
# Automatic PPP startup on receipt of LCP configure request (AutoPPP).
#  Consult the "pppd" man page to find pppd options that work for you.
#
#  NOTE: for *some* users, the "-detach" option has been necessary, for
#        others, not at all. If your pppd doesn't die after hangup, try
it.
#
/AutoPPP/ -     -       /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login modem -detach

Now, what is missing, IMHO, is a callback capability for faxgatty/hfaxd,
since the data handling by mgetty is really nice, with options for spawing
autoUUCP, autoFIDO and autoPPP, or an external callback program. Now,
mgetty's one does wirk by calling directly mgetty, which should then 'own'
the modem line, and be able to talk to the modem, and which I'd rather
like to be superceded by faxgetty.

Yours,

lorenzo

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions