failure to train, request help

Hi, I'm Dave Lewis at Ameritech, in Indianapolis, and we have been
extensively using Hylafax s/w for several years now.  Our current setup:
binary release v4.0p10, for AIX
AIX version:  4.1.4
our main fax server system has 9 modems, 7 are USR 14400, one is a
Multi-Tec, and one is a Hayes Accura 28800.

I'm new both to this company (Ameritech) and Hylafax s/w, so please
forgive me if my problem is an old one that you've seen before.  Overall,
considering the volume of faxes we send out, Hylafax s/w is working
great, and I like the 'configurability' and thoroughness of this s/w.
The problem we are having is with a few (probably about 10 out of over
700 destination fax machines which we send to) destination fax machines,
which seem to be Pitney Bowes, that do not handshake with the USR
modems.  We get failure to train after 3 attempts.  However, when I
manually direct faxes to these problem machines, and specify the Multi
Tech or Hayes to be used by sendfax, they handshake just fine.  I'm
reluctant to change configurations in /var/spool/fax/etc/config.tty# for
the USR modems, since most faxes go-out just fine through these modems.
What I want to know:  is there a means of configuring some aspect of
Hylafax s/w to, based on the destination fax machine phone number, to
direct these faxes to a particular modem on our server?  (i.e., to the
Multi Tech or Hayes?)  The application developers are reluctant to change
their code when sendfax is invoked, to specify certain modems (the -h
option), based on a few problem numbers.  (Or do you know exactly how to
get the USR to handshake with Pitney Bowes 9230F machines?)
One thing that I will do is try to setup priorities on the modem pool, so
that the Hayes and Multi Tech modems will tend to send out most of the
faxes;  this should at least help.
Any insight is much appreciated.  Thanks much, Dave Lewis (317)265-4652

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions