RE: Ghostscript binary distribution

-----Original Message-----
From:	Tim Rice [SMTP:tim@trr.metro.net]
Sent:	Wednesday, April 23, 1997 5:17 PM
To:	Alexandre Meissonnier
Subject:	Re: Ghostscript binary distribution

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Alexandre Meissonnier wrote:

> On my fax server, running SCO 5.0.2, I use the ghostscript binary
> distribution from ftp.sgi.com which, according to the README file, is
> configured to work with HylaFAX. However, I could not convert a single
> postscript document with it so far. Even the e xample postscript files
> in the distribution don't work. Is this a problem of the distribution in
> general or an incompatibility between SCO 5.0.2 and a distribution made
> for SCO 3.2?

If you followed the instructions, including downloading the 2.6.2 fonts
from prep.ai.mit.edu it should work fine.
It works on the 5.0.2 machine I used to make the HylaFAX OS5 binary.

Someone else on the list running SCO 5.0.2 had gs troubles and also
wanted HP laser support so I made a gs with HP laser suport and it.
For some unknown reason it seemed to fix his gs problems.
Pick it up at ftp://trruw.metro.net/pub/gs.gz

[Alexandre Meissonnier]
This one doesn't work either. Let me tell you what I did to install ghostscript. Maybe I just forgot something. Otherwise there might be a problem with the configuration of my machine (although I'm not aware of anything special).

First I downloaded gs262-sco3.2v4.2-tar.gz and unpacked it. This archive automatically installs the gs library in /usr/local/lib/ghostscript, so I left this unchanged.
Then I got ghostscript-fonts-2.6.2.tar.gz and unpacked it in /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts.
That's all, since I found no documentation which told me to adjust e.g. environment variables.

However, I have the impression that ghostscript cannot find its font files. The error message slightly changes when I set GS_FONTPATH to /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts, but it still doesn't work.
Here are both error messages. First the one without GS_FONTPATH set:
---
Error: /undefinedfilename in --file--
Operand stack:
    (cheq.ps)  (r)
Execution stack:
    %interp_exit  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  false  --no
stringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    537/547  0/20  6/200  30/70
Ghostscript: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
---
Now the message after GS_FONTPATH=/usr/local/lib/ghostscript;export GS_FONTPATH:
---
While reading gs_fonts.ps:
Error: /undefinedfilename in --file--
Operand stack:
    ()  0  (/usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/*)  (/usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fon
ts/*)  (r)
Execution stack:
    %interp_exit  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  false  --no
stringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  %loop_continue  --nostringval--
--nostringval--  /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/*  /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/
fonts/*    --nostringval--  %file_continue  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --
nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    422/547  5/200  422/547
Current file position is 5532