Re: Request for faxmail solution

> According to Peter Stern:
> >
> > I recently installed hylafax-v4.0pl1 on Digital Unix v4.0.
> > It seems to work fine.  I set up faxmail according to the
> > instructions in faxmail/mailfax.sh-sendmail and that works
> > fine too.
> >
> > What I would like to do is be able to send a fax from any
> > machine on my local network by sending e-mail to the faxserver
> > machine.  To send a fax locally, the way it is setup I use:
> >
> > mail 1234567@user.fax
> >
> .
> .
> .
> > that I know almost nothing about configuring sendmail.
> >
> Hi Peter
> 	If you get some solution please do forward it to me  as
> I am also interested in doing the same thing here in my office since a
> long time.  I subscribed the same list and posted my query so many times
> without any success. I am using IRIX 5.3 to act as faxserver.
>
> with best wishes
> Bhupesh Garg
> Systems & Network Administrator
> Institute for Studies in Industrial Development
> Narendra Niketan, I.P. Estate, New Delhi, INDIA

Dear Bhupesh:

Yes, you are correct.  This list is not that good.  I went through the
archives and found similar questions asked an unanswered.

In any case, I solved my problem by myself and so I share the solution
with you and the rest of the list in the hope that it will help someone
sometime, even though it is a fairly specific solution.

The trick is to tweak your sendmail.cf file to correctly interpret
1234567%host.fax@faxserver (as opposed to understanding just
1234567%host.fax which is what it gets when you send faxmail from
the faxserver itself).  As I said, I am no sendmail expert so what
I did may not be very general, but it worked for me.  The real trick
was to run sendmail in address test mode (-bt flag) on both the server
and on the machine from which I tried to e-mail a fax to the server
and this showed how sendmail.cf was parsing my address.  For example:

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE
Enter <ruleset> <address>
[Note: No initial ruleset 3 call]
> 3,0 1234567%host.fax@faxserver

This showed me exactly where the address was going.
So I added the following two lines to the beginning of Ruleset 0:
# Little trick to permit e-mail from other local hosts like user%host.FAX@wiscpa
#
R$+%$+.FAX<@$A.$N>	$1<@$2.FAX>	user%host.FAX<@local>

# Forward FAX messages to HylaFAX software
#
R$+<@$+.FAX>	$#fax $@ $2 $: $1	user@host.FAX

and the original line to the mailer definitions:
Mfax, P=/usr/local/lib/fax/mailfax, F=DFMShu, M=100000, A=mailfax $u $h $f

And it worked!  Hope this helps you too.

Best wishes,
Peter

Peter Stern
Chemical Physics Department