Re: HylaFAX and Linux solved, or is it?

To all the Linux sufferers:

   I finally got the thing to run. :-D

   Thanks to Nico and the other person who suggested me to use lsof (whose
name I don't remember 'cause I mistakenly deleted his e-mail) I finally
convinced myself that the problem was with the network setup.

   The only problem is that it does not work automatically. I always have
to add the route manually to make it work, but anyway. Here is what it
should be done.

   First of all, by using lsof I checked that hylafax is listening to the
port 4559:

GF@apricot[~][51]>/usr/local/etc/lsof -i :4559
COMMAND     PID     USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE   SIZE/OFF      INODE NAME
hfaxd       174     root    4u  inet 0x031e4a04        0t0        TCP *:hylafax

   For those who want to get it, here is the info:
lsof 3.84 (latest revision at ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof)

   The installation is easy, but I had to recompile the kernel because
lsof wants you to have /System.map. I did not have it because I
installed the latest kernel manually, and when you do 'make clean' this
file gets deleted. (Hint: after you recompile and install the kernel, copy
/usr/src/linux/System.map to /System.map). If you have not installed a
new kernel, but you are using the one that came with the distribution,
the file should be under /boot/System.map (at least with Slackware96).
Copy it to /System.map or make a symlink.

   Enough of lsof...

   Another way to check that hylafax is running and "listening", you can
run:

GF@apricot[~][59]>netstat -ta
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
tcp        0      0 *:hylafax              *:*                    LISTEN
root

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions